Upcycle an old record with paint!
Step 1: Use small balls of blue tack to fasten the record to the table.
Step 2: Clean any dust off your record. This can be done with a damp cloth.
Step 3: Allow the record to dry, then squeeze out some White Textured Gesso and cover the record with a thin coat.
It's important to use only one coat of Gesso as a thin coat provides a more durable primer.
Step 4: Once this is dry, squeeze out some Phthalo Blue and Titanium White onto the palette. Create a light blue and lay this across the bottom of the record.
Step 5: Keep the brush moving quickly and add a little more Phthalo Blue to the mix as you move up the record.
By the time you reach the top of the record, the colour should be almost pure Phthalo Blue.
Allow this coat to thoroughly dry.
Step 6: Now it’s time to draw up the whale. An A3 reference sheet has been provided that can be found on our website. The drawing can be transferred two ways; either used as a reference while copying, or the whale can be cut out with a hobby knife and traced with the fine tip of the Black Acrylic Paint Pen.
Ensure no paint creeps under the paper as it can cause the paper to stick to the undercoat.
Step 7: Carefully remove the paper and draw in the details of the whale. If details are put it in the wrong position, it can be easily fixed by laying blue over it.
Step 8: Add blue onto the top side and the pectoral fins.
Step 9: Titanium White can then be laid in.
Step 10: To create a little interest, add some green into the blue on the top side of the whale and fins.
Step 11: To create Saturn in the background, we can use the fine point of the Titanium White and a small cup as a template. Draw three quarters of the circle, leaving a small gap for the ring.
Step 12: Saturn’s ring can then be laid in, leaving the gap beneath the line.
Step 13: Now add the highlight.
Step 14: The final step is to add some stars into the background using the fine tip of the white pen.
Thanks for watching!
We hope you're inspired to grab some acrylic paint pens and create your own record art.
Otherwise, have fun, Keep creating, and we'll see you in the next one.
- MPN0163 Dual Tip Acrylic Paint Pens Signature 12pc: https://www.montmarte.com/products/dual-tip-acrylic-paint-pens-signature-12pc?variant=40820362576011
- MPA2501 White Texture Gesso Premium 250ml: https://www.montmarte.com/products/white-texture-gesso-premium-250ml-8-5oz?variant=40820384170123
- MSCH7520 Acrylic Colour Paint Signature 75ml (2.5 US fl.oz) Tube - Phthalo Blue: https://www.montmarte.com/products/acrylic-colour-paint-signature-75ml-2-5-us-fl-oz-phthalo-blue?variant=40820327415947
- MSCH7501 Acrylic Colour Paint Signature 75ml (2.5 US fl.oz) Tube - Titanium White: https://www.montmarte.com/products/acrylic-colour-paint-signature-75ml-2-5-us-fl-oz-titanium-white
- MPB0098 Abstract Expression Brush Premium 50mm: https://www.montmarte.com/products/abstract-expression-brush-premium-50mm?variant=40820381417611
- MCG0022 Tear-off Paper Palette Signature 50gsm 36 Sheet: https://www.montmarte.com/products/tear-off-paper-palette-signature-50gsm-36-sheet?variant=40820430798987