How to sculpt a brain using air dry clay
Cut 5cm off the end of the block store this in an airtight container. Use your hands to mould the rest of the block into a rough brain shape. Dip your hands into water as you go to smooth the clay and stop it from sticking to your hands.
You can print and refer to the outline on the project webpage to help shape the brain.
Once finished, create a 5mm deep trench down the centre of the shape. Smooth the clay off with a Taklon brush.
Next, cut and flatten out the clay we put aside to a thickness of 1 cm, then cut 1cm strips with the butter knife. Roll the strips into tubes and put them aside.
Once the tubes are rolled out, attach them to the outside of the brain.
If you look at the reference image, you’ll see the brain is divided into two halves. As you attach the tubes, curve them back and forward and press them onto to the base shape.
Finish one side of the brain before moving onto the other.
The area beneath the rear of the brain is called the cerebellum. Keep this free of clay and score the surface with the end of the butter knife.
Once all the tubes are attached, leave the brain to dry. This might take up to 3 or 4 days.
The next step is optional, but if you want the brain to look more realistic you can paint it.
Create a dark grey mix from Black, Yellow, Pink, White and Vermillion. Paint this over the entire brain making sure that it gets into all the nooks and crannies. Let this dry.
Once dry, paint it with a mix of Yellow Pink, Titanium White and a touch of the dark grey mixture. Keep this out of the hollows between the tubes. Allow this coat to dry.
Lighten the mixture with a touch more Titanium White then give it one final coat. Again, keep this colour out of the dark areas in between the tubes. Let this dry.
The final step is optional, but we thought it made the brain look even more realistic!
Pour out some Gloss Clay Varnish and cover the entire brain. Leave to dry and your brain is all finished!
- MMSP0007 Air Hardening Modelling Clay Premium 2kg – White: https://bit.ly/3CHvWBE
- BMHS0013 Gallery Series Brush Set Acrylic 4pc: https://bit.ly/3VHYAez
- MSCH7532 Acrylic Colour Paint Signature 75ml - Lamp Black: https://bit.ly/3MP9M51
- MSCH7501 Acrylic Colour Paint Signature 75ml - Titanium White: https://bit.ly/3gc1KqE
- MSCH7504 Acrylic Colour Paint Signature 75ml - Medium Yellow: https://bit.ly/3SaKDD7
- MSCH7508 Acrylic Colour Paint Signature 75ml - Pink: https://bit.ly/3TrvEpk
- Acrylic Colour Paint Signature 75ml - Vermilion: https://bit.ly/3SoTwZW
- Gloss Clay Varnish Signature 120ml: https://bit.ly/3Sk3mfk
- Butter knife
- Cling wrap
- Banding wheel or large plate