Create a white pointer shark painting in oils
In this lesson we will be painting an imposing white pointer shark with Oil Paint.
Step 1: Drawing the Shark
Draw the Shark using a Mont Marte Graphite Pencil. The body is a basic football shape and the fins are elongated triangles. We have provided an image of the shark for your reference on the the last page of this document.
Then paint over the pencil lines using the #8 Round Brush and Black Acrylic Paint. This technique is used so the Shark is still visible after the background is painted. Allow the paint to dry before moving on to the next step.
Step 2: Painting the Background
Using the Stainless Steel Brush Washers, create a mix of 1 part Ultramarine and 3 parts Gloss Medium and in the other Brush Washer, mix 1 part Cerulean Blue and 3 parts Gloss Medium. Paint the Cerulean Blue using the 75 mm Wide Taklon Brush. Then on the bottom third of the canvas blend the Ultramarine into the Cerulean. Allow this to dry and repeat the process another two times.
Step 3: Mixing Oil Colours
Mix the following Colours on the Easy Clean Palette using a #10 Palette Knife. These shall be used on the Shark
Turquoise: 6 parts Phthalo Blue, 4 parts Viridian,1 part White and 1 part Black
Grey Green: 4 parts Sap Green, 3 parts Ultramarine and 3 parts White
Dark Grey: 4 parts Black, 3 parts White and 1 part Scarlet
Pink: 2 parts White to 1 part Scarlet
Then squeeze out some Black, White and Ultramarine.
Step 4: Painting the Blocks of Colour
The Shark has been broken up into approximately 6 main colours, a colour placement guide has been provided on the last page of this document.
When painting, leave a 5 mm gap between each block of colour. This makes it easier to blend them later on. Remember to use a different Brush for each colour.
Step 5: Blending
Use the 25 mm Taklon brush to blend the colours together, wipe the brush every now and then to keep the tip clean. You can blend the colours until you are happy with the transition.
Step 6: Adding Details
Using the pink mix, paint in the gum area around the teeth. Then add Black to the appropriate areas such as eyes, mouth, nostrils and the little fish in the background. You can also add some white highlights along the fins and on the top of our shark. Now all that is left is to stand back and admire you masterpiece.
- MAPL0002 Easy Clean Palette Signature 30 x 40cm (11.8x15.7in)
- BMHS0004 Oil Brush Set Premium 7pc
- MCG0061 Palette Knife Signature No.10
- MPB0056 Artist Acrylic Brush Premium Taklon Flat Wide 75mm
- MPB0054 Artist Acrylic Brush Premium Taklon Flat Wide 25mm
- PMHS0025 Oil Paints Signature 12pc x 12ml (0.4 US fl.oz)
- PMSA7514 Satin Acrylic Paint Premium 75ml (2.5 US fl.oz) Tube - Ultramarine Blue
- PMSA7517 Satin Acrylic Paint Premium 75ml (2.5 US fl.oz) Tube - Cerulean Blue
- PMSA7530 Satin Acrylic Paint Premium 75ml (2.5 US fl.oz) Tube - Lamp Black
- MAMD0001 Acrylic Medium Premium - Gloss 135ml (4.6 US fl.oz)
- MAXX0007 Brush Washer Signature Stainless Steel