Create a Gustav Klimt inspired tree painting
Using Gold Leaf draw inspiration from the amazing artist Gustav Klimt.
Step 1: Drawing your Tree
Begin by drawing your design in with a HB Pencil. You can design your own or reference the image provided on the last page of this document.
Step 2: Applying Size
Paint a thin coat of Size over the areas you want the Gold Leaf to stick to. Allow the size to become tacky before you apply the Gold Leaf.
Step 3: Gold Leaf Application
To apply the Gold Leaf, gently roll it on to the Canvas and smooth it down with a Brush. Then scrub your Brush across the Gold Leaf, this removes the excess Gold Leaf and reveals your design.
Step 4: Brown Tones
Use all of the Browns to paint in the tree and base. Use a flat Brush in the larger areas and a round in the smaller ones.
Step 5: Symbols and decoration
Finally paint in your symbols and shapes any where you like. Klimt often painted Egyptian style eyes and pollen with bright colours such as Ochre and Crimson. I hope you enjoyed this lesson and give Gold Leaf a go.
- MAXX0022 Imitation Gold Leaf Signature 14cm x 14cm (5.5in) 25 Sheets
- PMHS0026 Acrylic Paints Signature 12pc x 12ml (0.4 fl.oz)
- PMDA0036 Dimension Acrylic Premium 75ml (2.5 US fl.oz) Tube - Burnt Umber
- PMDA0038 Dimension Acrylic Premium 75ml (2.5 US fl.oz) Tube - Van Dyke Brown
- PMDA0034 Dimension Acrylic Premium 75ml (2.5 US fl.oz) Tube - Burnt Sienna
- CSST5060 Single Thick Canvas Signature 50 x 60cm (19.7 x 23.6in)
- BMHS0001 Acrylic Brush Set Premium 7pc
- MAXX0024 Leafing Size 60ml