Create a water lily acrylic painting
Step 1. Optional Preparing the surface
This step is optional but in this first stage the gesso is evenly distributed over the canvas so that the weave of the canvas is smooth. Try and get the coat as smooth as possible.
Step 2. Drawing up the Lily
If you refer to the first Image in the PDF you will notice a line drawing of the Lily. Transfer this image onto the canvas using a Mont Marte Fine Tip Marker. This can be done directly or the grid system can be used.
Note: If the Gesso preparation step is not done, it is better to use a HB pencil.
Step 3. Laying in the Yellows
In this step a mix is created from 4 parts water to 1 part Dimension Lemon Yellow. The wash is then laid over the entire surface. While this coat is still wet, paint in the stamen with pure Lemon Yellow. Add a little Azo Vermilion to the Lemon Yellow to create an orange and paint in between each stamen.
Step 4. Laying in the Pinks
Create a mix from 1 Part Azo Vermillion Red to 3 parts Zinc White. Refer to the PDF and lay this colour in at the base of each petal and blend it out at the tip.
Step 5. The Background
To create the background squeeze out some Ultra Marine and Hookers Green and lay it into the negative space around the flower. Lay these colours down in blocks and blend them together so the coat is irregular. Next, squeeze out some Cyan Blue and Monastral Cerulean and lay in these colours over the top of the first background layer in small squares with the 25 mm brush.
Step 6. Adding the white
The final step is to add White to the Lily and the surface of the water. Create a mix from 1 part White to 1 part Acrylic Gloss Medium and with a large flat brush lay colour into the end of the petal and blend it in to the pink part of each petal. Next add some White over the background in square blocks, this will suggest a sparkle.
- Dimension Acrylic Premium 75ml (2.5 US fl.oz) Tube - Lemon Yellow
- Dimension Acrylic Premium 75ml (2.5 US fl.oz) Tube - Zinc White
- Acrylic Medium Premium - Gloss 135ml (4.6oz)
- Acrylic Brushes Signature 5pc
- Dimension Acrylic Premium 75ml (2.5 US fl.oz) Tube - Cyan
- Artist Acrylic Brush Premium Taklon Flat Wide 25mm
- Artist Acrylic Brush Premium Taklon Flat Wide 75mm
- Dimension Acrylic Premium 75ml (2.5 US fl.oz) Tube - Ultramarine Blue
- Double Thick Canvas Premium 91.4 x 121.8cm (36 x 48in)