Create an easy Leonid Afremov inspired painting
In this easy lesson the 8pc Mont Marte Dimension Acrylic introduction set is used to create a simple, colourful, abstract Leonid Afremov inspired painting. It's quite easy and can be completed in a couple of hours.
Step 1. Tinting the canvas.
Onto the palette squeeze out some Yellow, Orange, Blue and White. Add a teaspoon of water, give it a mix and apply this with a 25 mm Sponge Hobby Brush over the entire canvas. Let this dry. Clean the palette. Next refer to the first image on the PDF and mark up the rough placement of each element. Use a black colouring in pencil to do this.
2. Painting the undercoat. Squeeze out some Black and Permanent Red in equal proportions and paint in the trees. Use a #12 Taklon to do this. Next ,squeeze out every colour in the set out onto your palette. Start with the Yellow in the centre of the page. Add a touch of blue to create a slightly greenish hue around where the path starts. Blend Orange into the yellow and increase the warmth as you move outwards, next move to the Permanent Red and blend this into the Orange. As you move out to the edge of the painting add in some Violet to darken the Red. Paint in the path with a mix of Cobalt Blue and a touch of White. Add some Yellow and Orange on the sides of the path into the blue. Paint the front area of the path in pure Black and blend in some Cobalt Blue as you move up the path. Create a transition up to the green Blue path in the distance.
3. Painting the top coat.
In this step we switch to the palette knife and essentially apply a second coat over the first using the same colours. This will supply the work with a real textural impasto quality. Redefine the trees with the angle brush.
Step 4. Detailing.
Once the topcoat is laid in, create a mix of White with a little Cobalt Blue to create a sky Blue. Lay this in the the central top part of the painting. This will suggest the dappled light filtering through the trees. Next dab on the foliage. Ensure that the colour is lighter than the under painting. This will create contrast. Follow this procedure for the path as well.
Step 5. Painting the reflection.
The final step is to suggest a reflection. First start by laying in Black paint in vertical lines directly beneath each tree. Paint in the colours of the painting above, around the black marks that have been created. Keep a fairly dry brush so the colour is not too strong. Once the reflected colours are laid in. Apply thin horizontal lines over the surface in Pale blue. Add a number of warm tones in as well. 5. Painting the reflection. The final step is to suggest a reflection. First start by laying in Black paint in vertical lines directly beneath each tree. Paint in the colours of the painting above, around the black marks that have been created. Keep a fairly dry brush so the colour is not too strong. Once the reflected colours are laid in, apply thin horizontal lines over the surface in Pale Blue. Add a number of warm tones in as well.
- Single Thick Canvas Signature 30 x 40cm (11.8 x 15.8in)
- Round Plastic Palette Discovery 17cm (6.7in)
- Palette Knife Signature No.4
- Dimension Acrylic Paint Intro Set Premium 8pc x 18ml (0.6 US fl.oz)